Glastonbury Skatepark is closed. Please do not use the Skatepark. IT IS CLOSED! Fencing has been put up and the gate was padlocked. But this has been broken and will need to be replaced. Please understand why this is necessary, do not attempt to enter the skatepark, and speak to your children if they are skaters.
- The UK hospital death toll rose to 9,875 after a further 917 people died in hospital after testing positive for Covid-19, up from 8,958 the previous day.
- Turkey has supplied the UK with 250,000 items of protective equipment, the Ministry of Defence announced. The shipment includes 50,000 N-95 face masks; 100,000 surgical masks; and 100,000 protective suits; and will be taken to a regional NHS distribution hub to be delivered to medical centres across the country.
- The seemingly disproportionate effect of Covid-19 on people from BAME backgrounds needs to be urgently investigated by the government, according to the head of the British Medical Association, whose comments came after it was revealed that 19 NHS workers have died after contracting coronavirus.
- The health secretary Matt Hancock faced a backlash after he said PPE was “a precious resource” that health staff should not “overuse”. This angered many in the health sector, including the Royal College of Nursing who called the suggestion that health professionals who don’t have the supplies they need were abusing or overusing PPE offensive.
- The home secretary Priti Patel launched a national communications campaign for those at risk of domestic abuse to signpost victims to where they can access help. Up to £2m will also be used to enhance online support services and helplines for domestic abuse. Anyone who needs help in a domestic abuse situation, but is fearful an abuser may hear them calling, can dial 999 and press 55, which will let the police know they need assistance.
- And finally, the prime minister Boris Johnson “continues to make very good progress” in his recovery at St Thomas’ hospital.